Sunday, 29 June 2008

long hiatus!

still writing that thesis, that's why.

it's a rainy rainy rainy rainy day today, and i'm in an equally pensive mood. strummed a little bit of my guitar - if i could, i'd play it all day. but other things have priority, i guess. like, the thesis. and homework.

i can't imagine what it'd be like in august.

going home, after such a long long time. leaving friends and japan behind. and starting a new life in london, for a year.

i've learnt to play 3 songs on the guitar, now. hey jude, by the beatles; top of the world, by the carpenters; and you are here, a song from sing, city, the musical. playing them over and over again...adding songs to my repertoire as i go along, i guess! my singing has definitely improved along with it, cos there's really no point playing the guitar and not singing. tho it would really work much better if someone else with a better voice sung. :)


august - reminds me of hot summers, in general.
i was in singapore in august 2006 - that was a happy summer....idyllic. :) the summer of love. freshness of a new relationship..the feeling of constant happiness and wonder.
in tokyo in august 2007 - hot, humid, tokyo. getting lost in the labyrinth of people, buildings, and the un-understandable and oh-so-polite japanese language. that was the summer of the beginning of a life-changing decision, too.
what will august 2008 be like? i don't know yet, but it'll probably pass by in a whirl, like all the other augusts did.

why am i talking about august? because someone said to me "i can't imagine what it'd be like in august."

well, there's still july to look forward to, at least. :)

1 comment:

Author said...

Hey,
So glad to see that you are still posting on your blog; I suddenly remembered it today in a moment of inspiration (they tend to happen when I'm tired and about to fall asleep--if I were a neuroscientist, I wouldn't mind spending my life examining the connection between dreams, thinking, and consciousness.)

I read all of the entries just now and thought they were very interesting. At times, you seemed very stressed or somewhat anxious about the future. I think we all are. It's a function of our situation (end of college) and our era (pressure to excel).

Hang in there with the thesis and all. You sound like you're really doing quite well with study abroad and getting a really full experience. I'm almost envious:)

Here's a trick for you to try when you don't feel like working: pretend you are working at a job, and your job title is Official Thesis Writer, the task being to produce a thesis that will shine the shoes off of any professor who reads it with its intellectual brilliance. Your job has normal working hours like any other job, so between 9-5 (or some other preset time), you will work on the thesis like a model worker and only accept distractions as you would in an office place. Then once the clock turns 5, you get off "work", go play guitar/eat dinner/etc. and forget about the thesis until the next "working day". As I myself have never tried this method and hardly possess the discipline to pull it off, I can't vouch for its practicality, but at least it's an interesting exercise you could consider.

The thesis is beginning to sound like the Sword of Damocles anyway within the context of your blog, so I am either tending toward depressing interpretations of innocuous phrases, or a fresh approach could be beneficial.

I have also upgraded my japanese vocabulary recently with the words: naruto ramen, miso ramen, gyoza, edamame. So between domo arigato, a couple food words, kanichiwa, and geisha, I have covered most human needs. Now I only need to learn the word for bathroom, sorry, and airport, and I will be guaranteed survival in Japan.

Look forward to seeing you some time in the not too distant future (hope that wish is not one-sided). Hopefully, you will have braided, dyed hair on the one side, and no hair on the other. I'm still holding you accountable to the notion that you will go through some freaky Japanese-style makeover. We need photos. Lots of them, when you do decide to go through with it.


Blog Archive